Start 2023 off right by learning the newest pizza and salad trends for the new year. Here at Pohl Food Service we know that pizza is a beloved staple in many people’s diets, and we’re always on the lookout for the latest and greatest trends in the world of pizza.
New Year, New Toppings
One of the biggest trends in pizza this year is the use of innovative and unexpected toppings. Gone are the days of plain pepperoni and mushroom – today’s consumers are looking for unique and creative combinations that take their pizza game to the next level. Some of the top toppings to look out for include:
- Unique crusts: While traditional pizza crusts made from wheat flour will always be popular, consumers are starting to experiment with different types of crusts and bases to give their pizzas a unique twist. Some examples of this trend include the use of crusts made from alternative grains like quinoa or oats, as well as bases made from ingredients like cauliflower or zucchini. Experiment this year by trying new crusts for your pizzas.
- Plant-based options: As more and more people look to reduce their meat consumption, plant-based toppings are becoming increasingly popular. Think beyond just vegetables – try using tofu, tempeh, or even chickpeas as a protein source on your pizzas.
- Gourmet cheeses: Mozzarella is a classic choice for pizza, but why not mix things up by using more unique and flavorful cheeses? From blue cheese to goat cheese, there are so many options to choose from that can add depth and richness to any pizza. Check out our wide selection of cheeses on our product catalog.
Popular Pizza Recipes
In addition to creative toppings, there are also several new pizza recipes that are gaining popularity this year. These include:
- Detroit-style pizza: This thick, square-cut pizza originated in Detroit and has a crispy, caramelized crust and is topped with cheese all the way to the edge. It’s a unique twist on traditional pizza that is sure to be a hit with customers.
- Grilled pizza: Grilling pizza might seem counterintuitive, but it gives the crust a delicious smoky flavor and helps to cook it evenly. Try grilling your pizzas over a medium-high flame for a few minutes on each side for the perfect blend of crisp and chewiness.
- Dessert pizzas: Why stop at savory toppings? Dessert pizzas are becoming more popular to end a meal on a sweet note. Try topping a pizza with Nutella, fruit, and a sprinkle of powdered sugar for a decadent treat.
Push the Boundaries of Pizza with Pohl Food Service
Overall, the year’s top trends in pizza are all about pushing the boundaries and trying new things. Whether it’s through creative toppings or unique recipes, there are so many ways to bring a fresh twist to this classic dish. Pohl Food Service is proud to provide the freshest and best ingredients for any menu.